Cabbage Rolls Recipe
I am all about making easy weeknight dinners! As a working mom with a full-time job as well as being a full-time mom it’s so difficult to eat healthy as well as have time to make a dinner at home. I love prepping these nutritious and delicious cabbage rolls! If you think about it, it’s basically lasagna without the pasta noodles! The main ingredients are ground beef and cabbage! Did you know that cabbage is a great detoxifying agent as well? My family always loves a healthy yet flavorful meal! Check this recipe out and let me know what you think!
Cabbage is rich in soluble fiber, which has been shown to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut. This is because fiber is the main fuel source for friendly species like Bifidobacterial and Lactobacilli (23Trusted Source). Cabbage also helps with inflammation, provides an excellent source of Vitamin K, and can lower cholesterol levels.
In fact, just 1 cup (89 grams) of raw green cabbage contains (2):
Protein: 1 gram
Fiber: 2 grams
Vitamin K: 85% of the RDI
Vitamin C: 54% of the RDI
Folate: 10% of the RDI
Manganese: 7% of the RDI
Vitamin B6: 6% of the RDI
Calcium: 4% of the RDI
Potassium: 4% of the RDI
Magnesium: 3% of the RDI
½ White onion, chopped.
1 Whole Cabbage cut in half use only half of what is needed or baking sheet can fit.
1 Can of Tomato Puree
1lb of Lean Ground Beef
½ Cup of Panko breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp of Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Onion Powder
- Boil 2/3’s of the pot with water
- Cut cabbage into half, and steam one at a time.
- Let steam for 8-10 minutes (or until soft)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- While cabbage is steamed use a mixing bowl, add chopped onions, all the herbs and spices, salt and pepper, egg, and breadcrumbs and mix into the bowl.
- Add the ground beef and mix evenly with hands.
- Once the cabbage is steamed, peal each leaf off and start putting about 2 spoons of ground beef mixture in the middle of the cabbage leaf.
- Wrap each into a roll and repeat until all the ground beef and cabbage fill the size of the baking pan.
- Take 1 can of tomato puree pour into mixing bowl, add 1tbsp on basil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the tomato puree and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Place the baking sheet in oven and let cook for 30 mins.